If you’ve been arrested or charged with a crime, it’s in your best interest to immediately contact a criminal defense attorney. A good criminal defense lawyer can explain your rights in all stages of the criminal process and help make the difference between a reduced plea bargain, dismissal or a jail sentence.
Why You Need a Criminal Defense Lawyer
Being charged with a crime – whether major or minor – is serious business. A person facing criminal charges faces the risk of jail time, having a criminal record and loss of future job prospects, among other things.
While some legal matters can be handled alone, a criminal arrest of any nature warrants the legal advice of a qualified criminal defense attorney who can protect your rights and secure the best possible outcome for your case.
If you’re facing criminal prosecution, a criminal defense attorney can help you understand:
- The nature and severity of charges filed
- Any available defenses
- Which, if any, plea bargains may be offered
- What is expected after trial or conviction
What to Look for When Hiring a Criminal Defense Lawyer
Criminal defense attorneys handle a wide variety of criminal cases ranging from misdemeanors to state and federal crimes. When seeking a criminal defense attorney, you will want to one that best suits your case. You should concentrate on the lawyer’s expertise, skill level, knowledge and experience.
Questions to Ask a Criminal Defense Lawyer
Before selecting a criminal defense lawyer, you should feel comfortable enough speaking with him or her concerning all aspects of your criminal charges.
Here are some questions to ask:
- Do you have any experience handling cases similar to mine?
- How much of my criminal case will you actually handle?
- How many jury trials have you argued?
- How often do you work out plea agreements or ask for a lesser charge?
- What are your attorney fees, and how are they calculated? Do you offer a payment plan?
- Would you be willing to provide references from clients you’ve helped?
If you need help resolving a criminal case, we can help. Criminal Law Attorneys Patrick McDonough and Trinity Hundredmark at Andersen, Tate & Carr have combined experience of more than 30 years representing clients. For more information, or to request a case evaluation, call our law office at (770) 467-3205.
We have been very successful at reaching the best possible outcome for our clients, and our attorneys are here to help you through this difficult and stressful time.