Practice Description

No one wants to wake up after a long night of partying with a public drunkenness charge (also known as public intoxication), but it’s a sad reality that many people in Atlanta face each week. If you have been convicted of a public drunkenness offense, get in touch with an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.

If you have a public drunkenness conviction on your record, you could face a tarnished reputation, challenges getting gainful employment or difficulties getting into school

At Andersen, Tate & Carr, we will work tirelessly to get your Atlanta public drunkenness charges reduced, dropped or restricted. Our team of skilled criminal defense attorneys have years of experience handling public drunkenness cases, and we will make sure your rights are protected during your legal proceedings.

Definition of Public Drunkenness In Atlanta

According to Georgia Code § 16-11-41, any person can be convicted of public drunkenness in Atlanta if they are intoxicated with a BAC of .08 or above and acting in an intoxicated manner in a public place or in a private residence that they were not invited into. While it is normally pretty easy to tell if someone is guilty of public drunkenness, the telling signs include vulgar and loud language, boisterous actions and a general indecent condition.

If you are convicted of a public drunkenness offense in Atlanta, you will be guilty of a misdemeanor. This means you could be fined up to $1,000 and spend up to one year in jail. The conviction will also be on your criminal record, where any potential employers or schools will see it.

Youthful Offender in Atlanta

We understand that kids make mistakes, but we don’t believe that they should be punished for the rest of their life for making these mistakes. If you are under 21, live in Atlanta and have been convicted of a public drunkenness charge, get in touch with our experienced team of criminal defense attorneys today.

You may be able to have your charge restricted from your criminal record, making it impossible for schools and employers to see it.

The process for filing a youthful offender claim can seem simple, but it is in your best interest to have an attorney help you along the way. First, you must file a petition for your youthful offender claim with the superior court of the county in which you were offended, and you deliver a copy of this document to the prosecuting attorney’s office.

Then, you will go to a hearing, and the court will decide if it will grant you a restriction. If you receive a restriction from the court, you can also petition the jail/detention center to restrict your records as well.

Contact Our Experienced Team of Atlanta Public Drunkenness Attorneys Today

At Andersen, Tate & Carr, our criminal defense attorneys Pat McDonough and Trinity Hundredmark both have successful, extensive expertise in these types of cases. In certain cases, they have been able to get public drunkenness charges dropped, reduced or restricted.

Contact us today for a free no-obligation consultation to learn how we can help you.