Michael Hay helps lead the Commercial Real Estate & Banking Group of Andersen, Tate & Carr. His practice focuses on the areas of commercial real estate transactions, secured lending, zoning and business law. He has extensive experience in the acquisition, development, financing and sale of retail and office centers, industrial properties, and residential subdivisions throughout the metropolitan Atlanta area. Michael also represents numerous banks and lending institutions in secured loan transactions. He regularly represents both banks and borrowers in negotiating and drafting commercial loan documents and provides legal counsel in complex business and commercial matters. He advises clients on all aspects of commercial real estate acquisitions, sales, financing and development; including due diligence analysis, document preparation, negotiation and closing. Michael’s clients include developers, public and private owners, investors, builders, nursing homes and schools.
Michael joined the firm as an associate in 1995, upon graduating from law school. He became a Partner in the firm in 2001.
- 2017 U.S. News & World Report Best Law Firm - Real Estate
- Selected as a Rising Star by Law and Politics and Atlanta Magazine 2007, 2009, 2010
University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, Georgia
- J.D. (Cum Laude) – 1995
- Law Review: Georgia Law Review, Editorial Board, 1993 – 1994
- Law Review: Georgia Law Review, Member of the Managing Board, 1994 – 1995
University of Georgia Terry College of Business
- B.B.A. (Magna Cum Laude) – 1992
- Major: Finance
- Honors: Blue Key Honor Society
- Phi Gamma Delta
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Community & Professional
- State Bar of Georgia, Real Property Law Section, Member
- Council for Quality Growth - Member
- Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce - Member
- Notre Dame Academy – Board of Trustees
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Gwinnett County – Board of Directors
- Professionalism Seminars, Georgia Bar Association
“Michael Hay has been closing commercial loans for Quantum National Bank for more than 15 years. During this period, he has provided excellent service and assisted our customers to ensure that loan closings go smoothly. Also, he has helped us resolve difficult legal matters that have arisen during the closing process. We have enjoyed our long term relationship with this firm and Michael’s team. I would highly recommend Andersen Tate and Carr for commercial loan closings.”
- Brad Day, Executive Vice President, Quantum National Bank.
Michael Hay at Andersen Tate & Carr has been an essential business partner to Credit Union Business Services and to me. In my primary capacities as the loan officer structuring commercial mortgages and in managing our client relationships, it is critical to have legal counsel with thorough knowledge of real estate law and its practical application in mortgage transactions. No transaction is similar in the commercial space and Michael’s experience, common sense, and responsiveness helps to ensure we execute reliably on behalf of the credit unions and our borrowers. After leaving the closing table we have had many clients tell us what we already know, that Michael is an asset.
- David Polevoy, Executive Vice President, Credit Union Business Services